Friday 20 April 2018

It`s TIME for mixed media

This altered art card is another one that I have made for the Little Claire show on Hochanda tomorrow. As the stamp is all about clocks I wanted to make the background look like an old plastered wall where the lats had been exposed.

 
This card is built up in layers and first of all I ripped down some corrugated cardboard to expose the inside and then I ripped it to the size I wanted (run around the edge of the cardboard with a water brush to get the cardboard wet and then gently tear).
 
I stuck the corrugated card to a piece of backing card with PVA glue and allowed it to completely dry.
Next came the colouring in and I did this by applying a layer of gesso all over the corrugated card and on to the backing card, once dry I added a muddy coloured emulsion paint but still leaving the gesso exposed in areas. I further shaded using various distress inks and I stamped a script lettering around the edges using one of the distress inks. I added Ranger crackle glaze to areas of the wall and when it was dry I shaded it with distress ink. The little mouse footprints were stamped where I could find a space although if I were to make this card again I don't think I would add these. Finally I shaded around the edge of the piece of card with black distress ink.
 
The stamped image was stamped onto copy paper and coloured in using water colour. I tore around the edge of the image using a water brush to mark the line of the tear as with the corrugated card and then I shaded the edges with distress ink.
 
The little cogs were cut using the embellishment part of the Crafters Companion "timepiece easel" dies.
 
.............................................................................................
 
I went back to work yesterday and was stuck in a baking hot kitchen on the warmest day of the year so far, I thought I was going to melt as we are not allowed fans or open doors to cause a breeze.
 I ordered some new wellies which arrived yesterday whilst I was at work and they are purple and fabulous. I had to get some new wellies because on Monday I went next door to get some horse manure and my neighbour took me across the field to the miden saying how boggy it was and to be careful where I put my foot. Sure enough as soon as we got there I lost my wellie in a massive puddle and then put my foot down knee deep into very very soggy horse muck (yuck). Ian my neighbour rescued my wellie after he had stopped laughing and after we loaded up the wheel barrow I walked back across the field with my soggy foot in my soggy wellie making farting noises. I decided to throw my old wellies out as they would never smell the same again.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Love your card,didn't think that you did mixed media.
    Loved your welly story,it did make me giggle thinking of you squelching around with your stinky foot. Purple wellies sound very glamorous Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicola, I have just started to do more mixed media but I need to practice more and as always its hard trying to find the time. I had a friend on the Crafters Companion DT (she has since left the team to do new things) and she is the Queen of mixed media and encouraged me so much. Her blog is https://inkybliss.wordpress.com/
    I would really recommend you take a look.

    ReplyDelete