Tuesday 18 July 2017

No paper anywhere in sight

The open day for the Lincolnshire Cats Trust is looming (3/9/17) and I promised that I would make some teacup pincushions which can be sold on the gift stall. I asked for some pretty cups/mugs that were struggling to sell in the shop and now hopefully they will sell as a novelty gift for someone who sews.




The pincushion base is made from a large curtain ring which is padded by wrapping wadding around until it fit nicely into the top of the cup.

Wrap a strip of Tshirt material around the padded ring and stitch it into place on the inside of the ring (it gets covered so don`t bother how neat the stitches are).

Cut out a circle from some pretty fabric using Tattered Lace essential circles die (circle No 16).
and sew a running stitch around the edge of the fabric. Place a handful of stuffing in the middle of the fabric and then draw up the running stitch to make a cushion.

Pin the cushion onto the ring and then neatly stitch into place trying to eliminate as many tucks as possible. Add extra stuffing from the ring base to make the cushion nice and firm.

Using Tattered Lace essentials circles die No 8 cut out a circle from grey board (I used a piece of board from the back of a reporters notebook, I always tear them off and keep them when the notebooks are full).
Cut a circle of Tshirt fabric slightly larger than the grey board circle and on the reverse side of the grey board run a strip of tacky glue around the edge, stick the Tshirt material in place.
Carefully stitch the circle base to the ring base.

Decorate the pincushion with lace, flowers, bows etc to hide the stitch line where the cushion is attached to the base ring.


I didn't want to start making these pincushions as I haven't sewn for ages but when I had finished my first one I couldn't stop and ended up making all of them in one day.

..................................................................

I really did enjoy doing a bit of hand sewing for a change and am inspired to keep my sewing box out for a while longer. I have a shop bought quilt which managed to get torn whilst in the washer so I think I am now inspired to get out my material stash and have a look how best to patch it up and of course I will show you photos if it all goes well.

I am so lucky to have a lovely view of my garden and my old Apple tree from my craft room window and once again the tree is laden with cooking apples. The tree is the oldest Apple tree in our little village and sadly it has canker which I am not sure how to get rid of so I guess it is coming to the end of its long life but it is a beautiful tree and still giving great crops. My freezer is still full of last years Apple harvest so I think I will take some of this years crop to the cat shop and see if they can sell them (or even give them away for a small donation).






I






1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful gift idea, they look absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure they will fly off the stall !
    Hugs, Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete