Saturday 31 March 2018

A bird in a gilded cage

The card I`m sharing with you today is a bit more sophisticated and I was reminded of the rococo style of the French royal palaces. It is a bit more involved to make but again the dies do most of the work so you can do as much or as little on the design as you like.

 
What you will need:
Crafters Companion, die`sire, create a card, "birdcage easel" dies
Hobbycraft general sentiment stamp set
small heart punch
Tim Holtz distress inks - twisted citron, evergreen bough, salty ocean, peacock feathers
glycerine
rock salt
black Versafine ink pad
15mm fancy cream organza ribbon
12mm AB dazzler gem
red card scrap from stash
 
I made the background for the topper using the distress inks - Colour the Sheena stamping card with the distress inks using the glycerine, thoroughly spritz the card with water, drop on some rock salt and leave to completely dry. When dry remove the rock salt.
 
The birdcage was embellished using the gilding wax and I hap-hardly applied the gilding wax to the frame edges of the craft card.
 
I cut out the craft card bird in the cage and replaced it with a cream die cut.
 
The base craft card was made using the smaller of the overlay dies twice.
 
..........................................................................................
 
I have been enjoying a bit of messing about with my crafting lately as I have been making more of the backgrounds for my cards and I have finally opened a pot of gesso that I`ve had for ages, my goodness it is amazing stuff. You will definitely be seeing more samples made using gesso in the future as I experiment and find more ways to use it.
 
Here in Lincoln and especially here in the sticks where I live I have very limited access to craft shops and thank goodness for Internet shopping. On Wednesday 4th April Hobbycraft are opening a store in Lincoln and my crafty friend from work is taking me, we are both so excited and my list of stuff to buy is getting longer by the day. I got a gift voucher for £5 from Hobbycraft the other day for my birthday which is at the end of April and I thought to myself what good timing as I will be going on Wednesday. The day after the voucher arrived in my in box I got another email from Hobbycraft saying they had sent the voucher by mistake and it was void as I would be getting another one nearer my birthday, some you win and some you lose.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card, love the gilded birdcage :) I have a pot of Gesso I bought ages ago on a whim and still haven't opened it yet as I realised I have no idea what to do with it lol so I will be keeping an eye on your blog for ideas :)
    Hugs Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, thank you for your lovely comment. I used the gesso on a card I`ve made for Little Claire and I used it through a Tim Holtz stencil. It goes on quite pale but when it dries it looks chalky and very subtle on a pale background. Ive heard you can colour it so that may be my next experiment. Have a great day.

    Love Alli Xx

    ReplyDelete